Duration: 3months and likely to be longer due to a view to extend
Hours per week: Full time - 37.5 hours
Salary: Negotiable, must be in line with Agenda for Change
Take a lead role in the timely, efficient and effective operational management of the Division, ensuring services are responsive, innovative and provided to a high standard. To meet agreed Trust plans and priorities within available resources and ensure that all access targets are met. To be a force for change, identifying new opportunities for service delivery and prospects for improvement by implementing the modernisation agenda.
* Responsible for the operational management of the Division, ensuring the efficient and effective day to day running of the unit - matching resources to need with flexibility to respond to workload pressures.
* Develop and deliver effective operational plans linked to the Division’s Business Plan, ensuring that national and Trust’s targets are met and where appropriate exceeded.
* Contribute to the development and lead on the implementation of best practice, service modernisation and improvement plans and strategies in the Division.
* Manage the operational implementation of new service initiatives, including liaising with stakeholders, writing operational policies.
* In conjunction with the Deputy Associate Director, Associate Director, Divisional Director and Lead Clinicians for Urology, Vascular, Breast and Plastics develop an annual business plan for the Division in line with that for the overall Division, this will link directly with the work of the Business Development Division and will reflect the demand for services from the Trust, local and national trends and developments and the Trust’s strategic aims.
* In collaboration with the Divisional Accountant lead and assist in the development of high quality business cases to secure resources for service developments for the Division, ensuring consultation with other Divisions and other corporate Departments as appropriate.
* Analyse and utilise statistics and information to support the Associate Director and Divisional Director in planning and decision making.
* Responsible for managing the delegated budget of the Division ensuring financial balance and identifying areas of overspend, cost pressures and savings.
* In conjunction with the Deputy Associate Director, Associate Director, Divisional Director, Associate Director of Nursing and Lead Clinicians for Urology, Breast, Vascular and Plastics develop cost improvement programmes and income generation initiatives.
* Line manage all senior administrative/secretarial staff within the Division in line with the Trust’s HR policies and procedures, providing annual appraisal and PDP planning.
* Ensure responsibilities and objectives for direct reports are clearly defined - job descriptions are up to date and KSF’s are in place and that individuals are developed and well supported.
* In conjunction with the Associate Directors of Nursing and Operations, regularly review establishments and skill mix across the Division to ensure staffing is appropriate for current and projected clinical demands and thus optimising value for money.
* In partnership with HR, develop local strategies for the recruitment and retention of staff. Participate in recruitment processes and ensure that effective induction programmes are in place.
* Previous Assistant Service Manager or Service Manager experience
* Educated to degree level with postgraduate management qualification or demonstrable equivalent experience.
* Minimum of 3 years Health Care Management experience
* Operational Management
* Budget Management
* Change Management
* Service and Business Planning
* Waiting list management
* Understanding of NHS performance measures and the modernisation agenda
* Understanding of medical rota management
* Ability to analyse/manipulate data and make recommendations
* Ability to influence decision making with senior clinical staff
* Ability to demonstrate sound judgement and act on own initiative
* Ability to communicate with all staff in a multidisciplinary setting
* Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
* Fully computer literate (Microsoft Office Package)
* Knowledge of PAS